Monday 23 July 2012

Progress and more photos

It has been school holidays here so I have been very busy with my kids but today they are back at school so I am taking the opportunity to update here.
We applied to have the electricity reconnected a few months back and the good news is that the electricity is now on. We also have signed up with the local gas bottle delivery service and that is all in place too.
A high boundary wall has been built...I was actually against building such a high wall but my husband thinks it is neccessary, I did put my foot down when he wanted to put broken glass and nails along the top! I know this is common in India but I would feel like I was in prison and I think if someone is determined to climb over a bit of glass isnt going to stop them.

This is the view from the road..


The front room, I really like this room.
 Our friend Dina arrived back in India from Switzerland yesterday so work will be starting on the house soon, there is a lot to do but because we are wanting to build an extension in the next couple of years it seems pointless to spend a lot of money renovating at the moment so only what is needed to make it liveable will be done at this time. Things like mosquito screens, fans, a basic kitchen, inside toilet and bathroom, and plastering and painting. Before it gets hot we will need some airconditioning too.


The wall

 Because the house had not been lived in for several years the outside was very overgrown but now the land has all been cleared and some new topsoil has been brought in. My husband tells me there are several fruit trees there too.
This is my mother in law (thakuma) sitting on the back steps
My mother in law is a very sweet and hardworking person. I am looking forward to spending more time with her....so are the kids for that matter. My daughter was very excited when I told her she could go to Thakuma's house whenever she wants once we move!

Tram guy and Thakuma by the new front gates
It's quite hard when I am not actually there to oversee what is happening there...I HATE these ugly gates but nevermind they might look better when they are painted. That will happen when I am there to choose the colours. I have told them to wait until I geth there to choose the paint colour for anything that needs painting except the house interior which can just be plastered where necessary and whitewashed for now.



4 comments:

  1. I don't know how accurate it was but I was told the glass wasn't as much about people climbing the walls as it was for keeping out animals and birds and such. There could be many reasons for it. I know in some parts of India monkeys are an issue and the glass would certainly keep them from coming over the wall. I wouldn't want it at my house either though, it looks so menacing and trashy. Can't wait to see how you finish painting and fixing the place up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! My very first comment! I didn't think about the monkeys but they only have the very big monkeys in this area not the smaller rhesus monkeys that are found in the more northern states. Not sure if glass would keep those big monkeys out.

      Delete
  2. As American Punjaban said, the glass is more to keep animals away than people, birds can make a big nuisance alone, and monkeys are a plague, the country side is having far more monkeys than in cities, but yup even in a residential area in central Bangalore I had to deal with them. Monkeys will not come twice on something that could cut their paws :-)
    As for the gate, well it's a necessity, as a foreigner living there you are going to be a curiosity to many locals, better get a tall big gate to go with the tall walls and get yourself some privacy :-) You can still have the gate embelished with some ironwork later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are the voice of reason regarding the gate I just really liked the view out across the fields that we had before. Now all you can see is that concrete wall. I'm thinking me and the kids can paint it though or at least decorate it after it has been painted.

    ReplyDelete